Wayne Finn, Partner, specialises in defence insurance litigation, leading our defence litigation team in our Dublin office. He joined the firm in 2011.
Specialising in litigation, advisory work, policy interpretation and dispute resolution, Wayne has extensive experience handling defamation, employer’s liability, public liability, occupier’s liability, road traffic and property damage claims. Wayne has also acted for insurer clients in the management of large loss and catastrophic injury claims including brain injury, spinal injury and fatal accidents.
He practices extensively in the area of professional negligence acting in the defence of claims involving architects, accountants, directors and officers, engineers, solicitors and insurance brokers. He also advises clients on insurance coverage issues.
Wayne has experience of alternative dispute resolution (including arbitration and mediation) and cases before the commercial court.
Having qualified as a barrister in 2005, as a devil he practiced primarily in the area of personal injury. Wayne also spent three years working in the insurance industry in Ireland gaining further experience in the management of personal injury claims, including high value and complex claims, and developing a firm understanding of the salient information required by insurers when managing claims.
He represents international and domestic insurers, including AIG Europe S.A., Berkshire Hathaway Specialist Insurance, Zurich Insurance PLC and RSA Insurance Ireland DAC. Wayne also acts for loss adjusters, private corporate clients and managing general agents.
Recent Work Highlights
- Achieved an out of court settlement of €380,000 in a personal injury action where the damages claimed exceeded €1.2m. The case involved a complicated pre-accident medical history, a significant vocational claim and liability was in dispute
- Successfully defended a claim for personal injury arising from a slip and fall on steps leading to the insured’s premises. Successful in obtaining an order for costs as against the plaintiff
- Successful defence of a High Court claim for personal injury involving six defending parties
- Actively advising a major supermarket chain on risk management issues that arise within the context of their expanding presence in the market. Defends and manages an extensive portfolio of product liability, public liability and employers liability claims for this client
- Successfully defended a multi-defendant public liability action with one of the defendants ultimately agreeing to discharge our client’s costs
- Provides risk management advice and litigation services to an international transport group within the context of their expansion in the market
- Represented a large retail client regarding a potentially fraudulent High Court claim for damages arising from an alleged slip and fall incident. Successful outcome achieved with the claim being withdrawn
- Actively advising an international cleaning company in the defence of public liability and employers liability claims
- Successfully defended, on behalf of an insurance company and insured, two related personal injury claims arising from a low velocity impact. On the day of trial, one case was withdrawn and the other was dismissed with an order for costs as against the plaintiff.
- Member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL)
- Member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association (PNLA)
- Member of the Law Society of Ireland.
- National University of Ireland, Galway BA, LLB
- Ingenium Smart Choice Leadership Programme, Certificate in Leadership
- Honourable Society of King’s Inns, BL
- Admitted to the Law Society of Ireland.
Key lawyers: Michael Murphy; Anna Owens; Wayne Finn; Audrey Browne. ‘Shown a consistency in their professionalism, approach, knowledge of the law and ability to deal with large and complicated litigation matters’
Insurance | Legal 500 EMEA 2021
Awards, Membership and Recognition