Advising on issues from project inception, planning, procurement, project execution, project completion, building regulations, health and safety, through to the resolution of any disputes, we assist clients in balancing risk and opportunity to achieve their commercial objectives on time and within budget.
We advise the largest developers, sponsors, funders, semi-state bodies, tenants, employers, contractors and designers in the State. Our experience includes commercial development, public (including utility) infrastructure, regeneration projects, manufacturing facilities and power plants. We draft bespoke documentation where required and are familiar with all the standard forms of contract including the Irish standard public works’ contracts.
Representing clients in all forums of dispute resolution we advise on complex legal issues. We have successfully represented a broad range of parties, including employers, contractors, banks, sub-contractors, local authorities and construction professionals. We defend enforcement actions brought by the Health and Safety Authority and the Environmental Protection Agency.
Our expertise in public private partnerships bridges many sectors including health, education, roads, rail, energy, water, waste, social housing and nursing homes. Whether we are acting on relatively simple construction schemes or highly technical projects, our clients appreciate our pragmatic and commercial approach.
- Advising on all construction related matters for office and retail development including an ongoing office block development on Westland Row, Dublin 2
- Advising University of Limerick on potential options in terms of procurement and construction matters in relation to the former Dunnes Stores Shopping Centre, Sarsfield Street, Limerick
- We are providing expert legal advice to Limerick Twenty Thirty Strategic Development DAC on all construction aspects of its planned €500m economic regeneration plan for Limerick. We represent Limerick Twenty Thirty DAC on all legal aspects of the Opera Development Project in Limerick City, a €220 million project
- Advising Rugby World Experience Limited on the proposed International Rugby Experience Museum, on planning, letters of appointment, construction contracts from enabling works stage to main contract, all associated collateral warranties and bond/security requirements and a full title review
- Acted for Ardhu Ryan Developments Limited on its acquisition of the former Ardhu Ryan hotel site. We advised Ardhu Ryan Developments Limited on all aspects of the acquisition of the former Ardhu Ryan hotel site, located in a prime location in Limerick city. We advised the client on the financing of the transaction and is providing advices on all construction matters concerning the redevelopment of the site as residential units
- Acting for Bank of Ireland who are providing finance to a property development company for the purpose of building 31 residential units in County Clare. Advices include review of construction documents to include the building contract and drafting the deeds of appointment and collateral warranties for contractors and sub-contractors, and reviewing related insurances for the professional team
- Acted for a construction company, reviewing and providing advices on construction documents to include the building contract and collateral warranties relating to works on the expansion a premises for a medical technology company
- Act for a property development company on a project which involves the expansion and refurbishment of an apartment complex. Work includes drafting and negotiating deeds of appointment, collateral warranties, and reviewing related insurance documents for the professional team carrying out the works, together with a contractor collateral warranties
- Provided advices to a company on building contracts for the redevelopment and refurbishment of residential units in preparation for lettings.
- Act for a company in the construction of an industrial estate commercial premises. We are drafting the building contract, deeds of appointment, collateral warranties for the professional team and the performance bond, and also reviewing insurances together with dealing with the legal aspects of financing the construction by an Irish pillar bank
- Providing advices on construction works at a large residential property on an estate, to include drafting building contract, deeds of appointments for the professional team and subcontractors and collateral warranties, together with a review of insurances for the professional team
- Advising a bank on a facility to fund the construction of a large number of social housing units in Cork, to include reviewing and advising on the building contract and the performance bond and drafting and negotiating the consultant appointments and the contractor and consultant collateral warranties.
- Advising on a damages claim under a construction contract by a Swiss company against our client which involves a counter claim against a German supplier involving critical defects
- We successfully defended our client, a construction company, in an adjudication under the Construction Contracts Act 2013. The claim involved windfarm electrical contracting services where suppliers were not paid by the subcontractor who then refused to supply materials and works were halted on the site
- We successfully injuncted a subcontractor for abuse of process arising from a threat to wind up our client, a construction company, for failure to pay a disputed invoice. Successfully defended a personal injury case where a plaintiff, who was employed a stone cutter, alleged his lifespan had been shortened due to exposure to harmful dust in the course of his employment. The case management procedure was expeditated to deal with the matter quickly given the plaintiff’s health was suffering through a serious, on-going and terminal deterioration. The settlement also included the settlement of a case brought by the plaintiff’s partner for loss of consortium
- Successfully compromised a personal injury action, acting for the Insured, for the sum of €4.4m inclusive of costs, thereby avoiding the prospect of negative publicity arising for the Insured and higher costs being incurred. Our Insured was carrying out An excavation as part of pipeline construction works resulted in a trench collapsing and causing the Plaintiff to be buried up to his ears, sustaining catastrophic, life-changing injuries. His wife saw him being air-lifted to hospital which led to her bringing a nervous shock claim and a claim for loss of consortium
- Advised Roadbridge Limited, Ireland’s leading Civil Engineering company, to the sale of its non-core investments in the N17 – N18 Gort-Tuam PPP Scheme in the context of a sale of such projects to Infrared Infrastructure Fund
- Advised Roadbridge on the health and safety obligations which apply to employees based both in Ireland and foreign jurisdictions. The advices were given based on the obligations under the Health, Safety and Welfare at Work Act 2005 and the Return to Work Protocol issued by the Irish Government
- Advising a large multi-disciplined construction group on it being served with a Local Government Water Pollution Notice. The notice was served following an alleged water pollution incident which arose in the context of works being carried out by our client for the local authority pursuant to a Public Works Contract for Civil Engineering Works designed by the Employer. We are providing practical and reputational advices given the alleged water pollution incident drew significant local and national media attention and is an issue of extreme importance for our client in terms of both its reputation both nationally and internationally in addition to the potential impact of the alleged incident on our client’s on-going commercial relationship with the relevant local authority
- Commercial Property
- Banking and Finance
- Commercial Contracts
- Company Secretarial Services
- Corporate Governance and Advisory
- Employment, Pensions and Benefits
- Litigation and Disputes
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Investments
- Procurement and Tendering
- Public and Administrative Law
- Regulatory Compliance
Meet the Team
Commercial Property, Construction, Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Litigation and Mediation
Banking, Finance, Commercial Property and Construction
Corporate and Commercial
Banking, Finance and Construction
Public Sector and Commercial Litigation Lead
Commercial Property, Construction, Banking, Finance, Regulatory and Compliance