Michael is a Consultant Solicitor and joined the firm in 2016, after he retired from his partnership with Eugene F. Collins Solicitors in Dublin. He qualified as a solicitor in 1969 and joined the firm of Eugene F. Collins Solicitors in Dublin in 1972. He was appointed a Partner in 1975 and remained a Partner until end 2012 when he became a Consultant. Michael retired from Eugene F Collins in 2016.
Qualifying as a solicitor in 1969, Michael is vastly experienced and specialised in commercial property, professional negligence and dispute resolution. He practises as an arbitrator and as an expert witness. Dealing with all types and stages of property transactions for both corporate and private clients he acts for:-
- Developers of apartment complexes, business parks, office blocks, housing estates, shopping centres and other multi-unit developments
- Vendors and purchasers of developed and undeveloped property
- Landlords and tenants of retail and office units
- Lenders and borrowers in relation to legal security.
Michael has acted as arbitrator in more than 160 domestic arbitrations and in 4 international arbitrations under appointment by the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
Frequently called upon to act as an expert witness in property related disputes, Michael has been engaged by solicitors (acting for plaintiffs and defendants) as an independent expert in some 170 cases, including cases involving professional negligence or misconduct allegations against solicitors.
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Chartered Arbitrator
- Director of Irish Rule of Law International
- Former Member for Ireland of the ICC International Court of Arbitration (2000-2012)
- Former Chairman of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators – Irish Branch
- Past President of Arbitration Ireland
- Former Chairman and Current Member of the ADR Committee of the Law Society
- Former Member of the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal (2002 – 2012)
- Former Chairman of the Society of Young Solicitors (1974 – 1976)
- Former President of the Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats (1985 – 1986)
- Member of Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL)
- Member of Professional Negligence Lawyers Association (PNLA)
- Member of the Law Society of Ireland.
- University College Dublin, BCL
- University College Dublin, LLB
- Admitted to the Law Society of Ireland.
- Author of A Handbook on Arbitration Law in Ireland, Law Society, 1998.
Awards, Membership and Recognition