Donal Creaton, Partner joined the firm in 1987 and specialises in defence litigation, arbitration, alternative dispute resolution and professional negligence matters.
He specialises in insurance defence injury litigation in the Circuit and Superior Courts, with expertise in defending employer’s liability, public liability and motor claims. Providing specialist advice and representation, Donal has defended many employment related health and safety claims involving harassment, stress and psychological harm, as well employment equality claims involving race, gender and disability.
Donal has extensive experience acting in professional negligence claims, representing solicitors, barristers and their insurance companies.
Acting for public sector clients, he provides expert advice and representation on fair processes, employers and public liability, and judicial review. Donal is experienced acting on behalf of clients in Disciplinary Tribunals, in respect of barristers and university students.
Advising a wide range of local, national and international clients across many different business sectors, Donal acts for clients ranging from insurance companies to local authorities and universities.
Our internal Human Resources and Knowledge Management groups are led by Donal.
Recent Work Highlights
- Acted for a client in a professional negligence matter which we ultimately had dismissed in the High Court and again in the Court of Appeal
- Successfully involved in a Supreme Court decision dealing with the issue of delay in the legal process on behalf of a client
- Success in a judicial review application to the High Court on the issue of fairness of an employment disciplinary process
- Involved in a High Court decision relating to a provision in the MIBI Agreement (which deals with uninsured drivers in accident cases) and as to whether such a provision is governed by and was in accordance with EU Law.
- Executive Member and Vice Chairperson of Limerick Civic Trust
- Board member of Roxborough National School
- Committee member of Limerick Solicitors Bar Association
- Past President of Limerick Solicitors Bar Association 2011 and 2012
- Donal is the firm’s representative to the International Lawyer’s Network – a worldwide organisation, which facilitates clients doing business abroad by providing access to recommended lawyers in foreign jurisdictions
- Donal gives lectures to the Institute of Bankers and the Insurance Institute of Ireland
- Donal currently tutors with the Law Society of Ireland
- Donal provides seminars, CPD and moot court events
- Member of Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL)
- Member of Professional Negligence Lawyers Association (PNLA)
- Member of the Law Society of Ireland.
- University College Cork, BCL
- Law Society of Ireland, Certificate in Applied European Law
- Law Society of Ireland, Certificate in Child Law
- Admitted to the Law Society of Ireland.