Rachael O’Toole, Solicitor, specialises in insurance litigation and dispute resolution. She joined the firm in 2013. Rachael leads our Dublin insurance litigation services.
Currently on secondment with the Insurance and Risk Department of a leading international retailer, Lidl GmbH, Rachael is responsible for handling the defence of public liability and product liability claims.
Rachael specialises in insurance litigation with a particular emphasis in the area of professional negligence defence work. With considerable experience acting for domestic and international insurers, she defends claims involving contractors, architects, engineers, solicitors, barristers and insurance brokers. She is experienced in advising insurers on coverage and indemnity issues and assessing liability, quantum and tactics.
Having also benefited from a fifteen month secondment with leading insurer Zurich Insurance, Rachael held the role of financial lines and cyber claims handler. She had sole responsibility for the management of the financial lines claims portfolio which consisted of a wide suite of professional indemnity claims including professional liability, director and officer and employment practice liability policies.
Rachael is experienced in the defence of personal injury actions before both the Circuit and the Superior Courts.
In addition, Rachael has experience recovery and enforcement work acting for financial institutions.
Recent Work Highlights
- Acted in the review of policy terms and conditions and investigation of indemnity in respect of a circa €7m claim arising from a design and build contract for a large residential and commercial construction project
- Advised insurance company in a complex indemnity investigation arising from a notification by its policyholder of hundreds of claims arising from the sale of a large quantity of defective semen straws
- Acted on the instruction of insurers in the defence of a High Court solicitor’s negligence claim brought by a developer and seeking damages of circa €2m. The claim arose out of a title defect in a conveyancing transaction
- Acted on the instruction of insurers in the defence of a High Court barrister’s negligence claim brought by the policyholder’s former client and seeking damages of circa €1m. The claim arose out of a the policyholders involvement in the plaintiff’s unfair dismissal claim against her employer.
- Member of Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL)
- Member of Professional Negligence Lawyers Association (PNLA)
- Member of the Law Society of Ireland.
- University College Cork, BCL
- Law Society of Ireland, Certificate in Aviation Leasing and Finance
- Ingenium Smart Choice Leadership Programme, Certificate in Leadership
- Admitted to the Law Society of Ireland.