Orla Begley is an Associate Solicitor and joined the firm in 2004.
Orla practises in the non-jury area with particular emphasis on professional negligence, acting in financial lines claims involving architects, engineers, solicitors and insurance brokers. She has experience with commercial disputes, specific performance actions and property disputes acting for corporate and individual clients in both the Circuit and Superior Courts. Orla has expertise in assessing liability and quantum issues and advising insurers on coverage and indemnity issues.
Specialising in property litigation and contractual disputes, Orla has worked in the areas of commercial property, banking, insolvency, commercial leasing and restructuring and practises in both the transactional element of this work together with dealing with litigation and rectifications which arise from property transactions.
She acts for international and domestic insurance companies, loss adjusters, statutory bodies, companies and private clients.
Recent Work Highlights
- Defending solicitors in professional negligence litigation, engaged by several insurance companies. In this role, Orla deals with both the litigation aspects of the case but also uses her conveyancing knowledge to mitigate losses by rectifying the deficient title defects. Orla is actively dealing with a portfolio of over 150 properties in rectifying historic files on behalf of an insurer
- Acted for clients in the Superior Courts in relation to property disputes and recently attended the Land Registry Court under the Registration of Title Act 1964 in order to procure the rectification of title to a property on behalf of an insurer
- Engaged in a number of applications under Section 25 of the Trustees Act 1893 in the Superior Courts in order to regularise and rectify common areas for both commercial and residential developments
- Representing banks and receivers in a number of property projects and has given advice to leading financial institutions in relation to the validity of appointment of receivers and also on the validity and enforcement of security documentation
- Providing due diligence advices to purchasers in Asset Purchase Agreements.
- Member of Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL)
- Member of Professional Negligence Lawyers Association (PNLA)
- Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Member of the Irish Environmental Law Association
- Member of the Law Society of Ireland.
- University College Cork, BCL
- University College Cork, LLM
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales
- Admitted to the Law Society of Ireland.