Aoife Skehan, Senior Associate, specialises in insurance litigation, dispute resolution and professional negligence. She joined the firm in 2008.
With considerable experience acting in the defence of financial lines claims on the instruction of both domestic and international insurance companies, Aoife acts for architects, engineers, solicitors, insurance brokers and contractors. She is an expert in advising upon and assessing liability and quantum and advising insurers on coverage and indemnity issues.
Experienced in the defence of construction disputes and environmental risk disputes, she has considerable expertise representing clients before the Circuit Court, High Court and the Commercial Court in both construction and commercial disputes.
As an Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Aoife acts in alternative dispute resolution forums, including mediation and arbitration.
Aoife has acted for a number of international and domestic insurance companies, loss adjusters, financial institutions, large corporations and private clients.
Recent Work Highlights
- Advised insurance company in a complex indemnity investigation of a notification by its policyholder arising from a Design and Build construction contract and involving a forensic examination of the contractual documentation and engagement of an expert architect
- Advised insurance company in a complex indemnity investigation of a notification by its policyholder on foot of a Contractor’s Pollution Policy and in respect of an alleged unauthorised deposit of “waste” on to third party lands
- Advised insurance company in a complex indemnity investigation arising from a notification by its policyholder of a claim of alleged unauthorised development of land and an Enforcement Notice issued pursuant to section 160 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended)
- Acted for a large multi-disciplinary construction group in respect of a Notice served on it by the relevant local authority pursuant to section 23 of the Local Government (Water Pollution) Act 1977 (as amended). The alleged water pollution incident drew significant local and national media attention
- Acted on the instruction of insurers in the defence of a High Court solicitor’s negligence claim brought by a developer and seeking damages of circa €9m. The claim arose out of a title defect in a conveyancing transaction and the matter was ultimately successfully compromised for under €1m
- Acted on the instruction of insurers in the defence of a High Court action claiming €1.5m for alleged damages arising from a large construction project. The matter was ultimately referred to mediation where it was successfully compromised
- Acted in the successful defence of a High Court application seeking leave of the court for minority shareholders in a private limited company, to issue a derivative action on behalf of that company and in the subsequent defence of the plaintiff’s appeal of that decision to the Supreme Court
- Acted for a Board of Management in a construction dispute with a firm of architects and a building contractor and which was ultimately successfully referred to arbitration.
- Member of Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL)
- Member of Professional Negligence Lawyers Association (PNLA)
- Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Member of the British Irish Commercial Bar Association
- Member of the Irish Environmental Law Association
- Member of the Construction Bar Association of Ireland
- Member of the Law Society of Ireland.
- National University of Ireland Galway, B.Corp.Law, LLB
- University College Cork, LLM
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales
- Admitted to the Law Society of Ireland.